Friday, 13 October 2017

DreadTober: Old Six Eyes TO-DONE!

Hi folks,

DreadTober is my favourite community event every year, but it does mean I have quite a few Space Marine Dreadnoughts in my collection. This year I though I would do something different and show my Tyranids some love. Back in the days of 4th Edition, I used to have a Bomberfex that seriously wrecked face. When I decided to repaint my army (they used to be all blue), I never really got around to fixing that guy up. Fast-forward a few years, I decided to convert him into Old One Eye. The only problem was he had SIX eyes (which was very helpful when he was slinging around pie plates in his past life). So a named him Old Six Eyes!

I have a quite a few "twins" in my Tyranid collection, and this guy fit together quite nicely with my Deathleaper.

To convert the original Carnifex I sawed through the start of the tail section and changed the angle, so that he could sit up on his tail like a Zoanthrope. This fits the look of my "snake-form" heavy Tyranid collection. The tail is pinned with a thick pin into the ruins on the base and up into the thorax piece.

I have painted Old Six Eyes as if he has just regurgitated a bunch of stuff that was sticking in his craw. If you can figure out what he has thrown up, I'll give you a cookie ;-) It reminds me of a scene in the film The Ghost and the Darkness, the morning after Remington is dragged from his tent. If you don't know what I am talking about, do yourself a favour and watch the film, it is an oldie but a goodie. Anyway now my army has its own Ghost and Darkness.

Old Six Eyes is also on my To-Do list for this year, so I get my first stamp!!

See you across the table,


Saturday, 7 October 2017

I'm Back from Japan!

Ohayƍ gozaimasu!

My blog has been a bit quiet the past couple of weeks because I have been on holidays in Japan. My mate KuriboGoomba married his lady love in Kagoshima and we were honoured to share the day with them. It was a traditional Shinto ceremony, which involved drums, Sake and praying to the spirit of the Sakurajima volcano (we heard it erupting the first morning we were there... it was... disturbing). At some stage, one of the costume changes involved Goomba carrying a sheathed Katana. It was epic.

At the end of the trip I spent some time in Akihabara (photo above), the Mecca of all things Mecha. If you are unfamiliar with it, Akihabara is a suburb of Tokyo dedicated to pop-culture; particularly anime, gaming, models and entertainment technology. I went into one building that was nine stories tall, which pretty much contained every Gundam, ever. I managed to find some of those Japan-release-only Ultramarines, which I considered getting because of the shear rarity of the things. Seriously though, I don't need Ultramarines and my To-Do list is full enough already.

I was on the hunt for some Macross stuff, and came across these beauties. They are from the Macross Plus series, which was a favourite of mine back in high school. Thanks to their age, they were dirt cheap as well, so I splashed on a couple of display stands as well.

Hopefully I'll get some time to work on them during the Christmas break, as right now I am fully engaged in completing my Dreadtober project. This year I have decided to show my Tyranids some love and work on Old Six Eyes, my version of Old One Eye. More about him next post!

See you across the table,


Thursday, 14 September 2017

2017/18 To-Do List

Hi folks,

After a whole lot of distractions last hobby season, I have resolved to push on and complete the projects I neglected during the past 12 months. In truth, I did manage to push quite a few of these units closer to completion, but never quite got there with any of them. Here's a break down of what I am planning.

Iron Snakes

It is fair to say that I  have been neglecting my Iron Snakes for too long. This season I am going to add another HQ unit, preferably a Captain of some description. I will also try to finish off the Storm Eagle which I undercoated last season. I'm thinking that I will revisit Squad Aegis for Squaduary in February, perhaps with some added twin lascannon Centurions to bulk out the unit. Finally, I bought some nice helmet crests that would allow me to convert a Tactical Squad of Iron Snakes, so now is a good time to try and do Damocles some justice.

Dark Angels

I have been tinkering with my old assault squad the past couple of days, updating it for 8th Edition. Ironically, this has involved putting Plasma Pistols back in the squad, after snapping them off in frustration a few years ago! The Ravenwing elements are long overdue for completion, so no surprises there, but I am also really hoping to get some detailed characters finished as well. There may even be a converted Sammael on the way...


I have a few Tyranid projects that I want to get done, mainly so I can stop thinking about them! The first is a Hive Crone, though I may change this to a Harpy depending on how they play. I also have an Aliens themed Tyranid Warrior brood that I would like to finish, because they look so damn cool. For Dreadtober this year I can't see myself buying another Dreadnought; I'm not going to say that I have too many Dreadnoughts, but... anyway, I think Old Six Eyes will fit the brief as a Tyranid equivalent.


Move along. Nothing to see here...

Random Fun

I seriously am itching to get my first Imperial Knight complete. All of the pieces are undercoated and I am starting to work on the layering, but it is a long, highly enjoyable process. Kadillus Lighthouse... well, it has been on the list from the beginning. I may turn it into some kind of 24 hour marathon event. Last but not least, I am hoping to paint some presents for the guys, because that's our thing.

So there you have it, another crazy hobby season begins!

See you across the table,