Saturday 6 August 2016

Hive Fleet Numereji: Flying Tyrant Progress




Hi folks,

Last night I had a krak at finishing off some more Tyranids. First gribbly on my mind was the flying Tyrant I constructed ages ago, which is a homage to the dragon Cloudjumper from the kids film How to Train your Dragon 2. My daughter is a big fan of the show, so I get to watch it more frequently than is probably healthy.


Cloudjumper


I have started washing the wings with Leviathan Purple, which is going to be a long process. I have used the same technique to give a metallic sheen to the wings of my Gargoyles, but the larger surface area of the Tyrant wings, as well as the curved surface, complicates the process no end.


Leadbelchers with a Leviathan Purple wash to give a metallic purple finish. A coat of 'Ardcoat seals the deal.


Up-sizing. Big time.

I also worked on the upper torso and head. As the Tyrant will have four wings, I have had to model the twin-linked Brainleech Devourers to the torso.




The head was converted using parts from the Tyrant Guard kit (boneswords for the black horns) and the lower jaw of the old Red Terror figure.




The Devourers were cut in half and glued together to form single cones, then sculpted into holes that I had cut with the addition of some green stuff gristle.


I think I'll brighten the eyes up a bit. That's tomorrow Marc's problem :o)

It has felt good to get some painting done, as Netflix has seriously killed my hobby mojo. I have been watching Stranger Things with the wifey every night and it has been to awesome to miss. If you haven't watched it yet, do yourself a favour. It does for flickering lights what Aliens did for air-ducts and Stephen King's IT did for storm-drains.




Next I'll be working on the lower legs and something special for the base. Hopefully I can get this guy finished before the curtains close on the 2016 hobby season!

See you across the table,

M4cr0

No comments:

Post a Comment