Friday 27 March 2015

Iron Snakes: Ancient Nestor Build Complete



Hi folks,

During my short break from painting I have been working on some modelling projects. Apart from the Van Diemen's World figures that I am whittling away at, I have finished assembling a Contemptor Dreadnought for my Iron Snakes detachment: Ancient Nestor.


The more I look at this picture the more Nestor is riding a red hoverboard...

I was inspired thematically by the Hecaton Aiakos model from the Forge World Minotaurs Chapter collection. It is a beautiful figure which I desperately wish was an Iron Snake! So, I bought myself a Venerable Contemptor instead and added a few details, including a Lakodeme style combat shield, purity seals and a helmet plume.


Moar plasma!


MOAR!

The name Nestor is from Homer's Illiad; Nestor was the oldest Achaean commander at Troy. Nestor was known for his wisdom, often acting as an adviser to less senior military commanders, especially Agamemnon. The name also shows up on the Dark Angels brass etch sheet, though, somewhat ironically, I can't find a place for it to fit on my Dreadnought!

Originally I was going to have Nestor crushing a Fallen Dark Angels marine under his foot, as the Iron Snakes are intended to be an ally for my Dark Angels. I'm not so sure now, after seeing some of the bases and basing materials available at Scibor Miniatures. I have ordered the following pieces and I am going to see if any of it will fit under his foot.




I have two special characters to add to my force, so they will get one of the bases, and a squad of Iron Snakes Centurions would look great as well (Gah! So many projects!). With holidays coming up I think I am going to be a very busy/happy man.

See you across the table,

M4cr0

P.S. I found my favourite sculpting tool last night after a long period of absence. I can't tell you how relieved I was to find it... it is... precious to me ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment