Friday 19 September 2014

Iron Snakes: Veteran Sergeant Thanatos

 
 

                
"As for you, Achilles, no one was ever yet so fortunate as you have been, nor ever will be, for you were adored by all us Argives as long as you were alive, and now that you are here you are a great prince among the dead. Do not, therefore, take it so much to heart even if you are dead."

"'Say not a word,' he answered, 'in death's favour; I would rather
be a paid servant in a poor man's house and be above ground than king of kings among the dead.'"
 
Homer's Oddysey (Book XI)
 
Hi folks,
 
I have finally finished the Veteran Sergeant of my Iron Snakes Sternguard: Veteran Sergeant Thanatos. The last step of the painting process involved painting the spear tip, which was a little pain in the butt. I tried out quite a few ideas before settling on a blue glow effect. The project itself was inspired by the passage above, in which Odysseus meets his friend Achilles in the underworld. 
 



 

In Greek mythology, Thanatos (Death) is the twin of Hypnos (Sleep). He is described as follows:

"...the other has a heart of iron, and his spirit within him is pitiless as bronze: whomsoever of men he has once seized he holds fast: and he is hateful even to the deathless gods."

Now that sounds like he means business! I have some ideas for house-rules that will represent this guy as a seemingly deathless, pitiless, champion of close combat. There will be more about that when I get this little force finished in a few months time...

See you across the table,

M4cr0



P.S. I really need a new camera, my phone just isn't cutting it. It is so hard to justify the expenditure when there are other cool things to buy!


 


2 comments:

  1. I love it! I really appreciate the fluff and the source material. The spear came out great. Top notch. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate ;-)

    I'll try and add a bit more fluff before I move on to another project. I think it would be good to explain why Iron Snakes are hanging out with Dark Angels; Dark Angels aren't exactly the most brotherly of battle brothers. I have a (very) short story that I am working on to introduce them as a force, but I probably won't post that until all of the Iron Snakes are finished. Thanks from dropping in!

    ReplyDelete